About the Pipeline
As an extension to what it calls the Granite Pipeline Relocation Project
BGE is planning to install a new gas pipe line through the park along an entirely separate path from the existing gas line that parallels the Gwynns Falls Trail currently.
Very little has been made known of their plans and officially BGE states the project is still in the planning phase. FOGFLP has made inquiries of city officials and BGE to make sure
every precaution possible is taken to minimize the footprint and use existing rights away.
The following is what we have been able to determine thus far:
Click here to see a map of the park showing the approximate pipeline path through the park.
Check the September 26th article in the Baltimore Sun
- The line will start on the County side at the west edge of the park near the Park and Ride and it will run along the edge of the park past the Rognel Heights Elementary and Middle School on its way downtown.
- Construction requirements and regulations require the pipeline path to be 75 feet wide of mostly clear-cut through the park during the construction phase.
- After construction 25 feet can grow back so that a 50 foot path remains along this new line.
- BGE already has a pipeline in the park that runs along Dead Run and the Gwynns's Falls Trail.
- The existing pipeline, built in the 1940s, sits in a flood plain which poses maintenance and environmental concerns.
If you would like to assist in our campaign to challenge and/or alter BGE's current plans, or if you want to be included in a mailing list to receive updates, please send an email to: